Wednesday, December 21, 2011

No Values At All

This morning as I walked into the Wawa, as I always do every morning. I got to the door the same time a mother and her son got to the door. Out of force of habit and how I was raised, I opened the door for them. The mother looked at me and said thank you and then the son walked in before the mother. He then went to the next set of doors and opened them just enough for him to be able to squeeze through. I was amazed at this. The mother didn't say a single thing. She almost looked like it was of the norm. Is this how it is now a days? No values at all? No morals? If my father ever saw me do that, a swift smack to the back of the head would follow. I was raised to always say please and thank you and to always be grateful for what I had and not what I needed! Well, back to this kid. He was wearing a set of headphones and all he had in his hands was a Gatorade. While his mom had the gallon of milk, eggs, and was juggling her purse to get the money out. She was able to get the gallon of milk on the counter but the eggs didn't quite make it. She was embarrassed and completely red. This is what really got me pissed. Her son then looked around at her, and under his breath, “you such a clumsy person mom!” I am a very timid guy. It takes a lot for me to get upset and to the point where I feel that I need to say something. I tapped the kid on the shoulder, maybe 13-14 years old, and asked him in a calm and cool manner, “your just gonna stand there while your mother is struggling with this”? “Yea, she dropped em”. I was blown away. Unreal. How in the world did this kid get this way? Can someone please tell me is this the normal thing to do? I wouldn’t even dare to THINK that growing up. I proceeded to help the woman clean the mess up and I went over and got her a new thing of eggs. The whole time this cat just stood there looking. I really wanted to smack some sense into him but I don’t think it would of helped. I just don’t understand anymore people. I am raising my children to be respectful to everyone. Right from wrong. Morals. Manners. The whole 9. I do my best to go out of my way most days to make sure I open the door for a female or help someone get there groceries in their car. Please leave me some feedback and let me know if you would feel the same way. Also, if you have a story like this, let me know. Thanks for reading. Stay blessed.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so angry, but unfortunately it does not surprise me! I work at a convenience store and the level of disrespect that kids, teens, and even adults show their parents on a daily basis is just as bad as this. To top it off, they also show that same disrespect to complete strangers. Although my actions, whether they be holding the door open for someone, saying please or thank you, and so on are good practices in business, I also make sure to carry them on to situations outside of work because I too was raised right, and even use a little bit of common sense sometimes.

    ReplyDelete