Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Shot of Gratitude

Every day I wake up I am grateful. Some people don't get that chance to enjoy a morning sun rise. Every night I lay my head down on the pillow, a sense of gratitude comes over me. Even if the day was full of problems and a lot of aggravation. I am still grateful that I was able to live another day. Just recently my oldest son became ill. He kept complaining about his stomach. That it was a sharp pain. I had thought that maybe he pulled a muscle from coughing. It wasn't. The phone rang at work and it was my better half telling me that I need to get to the hospital quick because my son was being emitted. As I sped to the hospital every thought and feeling was bad. What was wrong with him? Is there anything I could of done? What am I going to do? I got to the hospital just at the doctor was walking in to tell us the news. My son had appendicitis. I was filled with fear. Everyone told me that it was such a simple procedure and there was no need to worry. But it was my son laying there. Not theirs. We were shipped out to CHOP in Philadelphia for a emergency surgery. Here is the gratitude hit. We were sitting there in the room and the doctor just explained how the anesthesia works. My fiance had to leave to the room to move the car. I explained to my son that he was just going to be put to sleep for a little bit so he wouldn't feel anything. My son then grabbed my hand and said, “Dad, you're going to be here when I wake up right?” I looked at him with tears in my eyes and told him, “Absolutely pal, I am not going anywhere”. The feeling of gratitude that I felt at that moment could not of been measured. It was like I finally found what I was looking for. Hard to explain that feeling to people, but if you have kids then maybe you will understand. All the fear was filled with faith right then and there. My son, going into surgery, had made my day. More like my life right there. Gratitude is a verb to me today not a noun. You have to express it. Its just like wrapping a gift and not giving it away. Oh yea, my sons surgery went well. Thanks again for all the prayers too. Stay blessed.

1 comment:

  1. I see you're inspirational tweets every morning. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete